Saturday, March 03, 2007

The past month

As you can see it's been a month since we last posted. We had a wonderful time in Denver, CO. Thanks to the Heideman's we had a place to stay! The Heideman family reached out to a lot of midshipmen while Tony taught at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. So, Jose got to know them while he was in school. We were blessed with the time we spent with them. Jose and I were able to drive around and see different areas of CO, including Colorado Springs where we went to see Focus on the Family Ministry, Vail and Breckenridge (popular and expensive ski areas). We went snowboarding once - Jose's very first time. I must say he did very well for a first-timer; we had the help of an instructer, as we took a beginner's class. It had been a few years since I've gone, so the class only helped me learn the proper technique. After all, Sarah Megorden and I attempted to teach ourselves the first couple times - now she's pretty much a pro.
Anyway, we also visited Denver Seminary and even sat in on a class one night. The campus is new and in a great location. What we really like about the seminary is that there is a great Chaplain program (if not the best in the country). Most seminaries don't have anything in particular for military Chaplains, but there is a retired Chaplain who works there and has all sorts of connections. We would very much appreciate your prayers as we consider what God may have for us in the future. We are seriously considering moving to CO after Jose's time with the Marines is up (about a year and a half), so that he can go to seminary and become a Navy Chaplain. Our future is in the Lord's hands and we desire to follow His will wherever that may take us. Denver is looking like a great place to live right now. The housing market is down now, so it's a good time to buy. There's a Sovereign Grace Church right by Denver Seminary. Plus it's beautiful there, with plenty of outdoor stuff to do.
We also were able to spend an evening with one of Jose's friend from the Academy, Jamie. I was able to meet her for the first time. She's the first person who shared the gospel with Jose. I thank God for her and the way she's unashamed to share the gospel. Before I ever met Jose I remember praying for my future husband and that he'd grow in His relationship with God and if he wasn't saved yet that he would be. Jamie simply shared the gospel with Jose while they were on the way to Covenant Life Church (she doesn't really remember).
I will have to post pictures later. We forgot to bring our digital camera and bought a cheap disposible one. We had fun hanging out with friends and checking out CO.
February 12th I started working. The first week was filled with days of orientation. On the first day I went to a hotel to be oriented to all of Scripps Hospitals and clinics. I was at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla the rest of the week being oriented to that specific site, my specific unit and nursing there in general. There are a bunch of new grads going through all this at the same time. They taught us how to use equipment, document, use proper body mechanics for moving patients, computer class, policies, and more.
My first real day as a nurse was on Sunday, February 18th! I work on a cardiac care floor, caring for patients before and after heart surgery and more. I was quite fearful. It was like nursing school again - when I had to go in a patient's room for the very first time. I really hadn't been oriented to the floor and wasn't familiar with anything. It also seems like a long time since I've done any patient care - almost a year. My preceptor helped me through and definitely detected my fear; a few days later she told me I was like "a deer caught in headlights". As the days go on I become a little more comfortable. The hardest part for me is all the paper work and knowing the right way to do things and remembering to do them. Now I sign my name as R. Jimenez, RN. My greatest fear is making a mistake that will have a negative impact on my patients. Because I am human and Rebekah I will make mistakes. Pray for me that I would have peace and joy as I work and do my work diligently and unto the Lord. I'm grateful for my preceptor, who thus far has been very patient with me. I've already experienced a patient who was uncomfortable with new grads and was giving me the 3rd degree. I also had the pleasure of having a wonderful patient that wanted to do everything to cooperate and had a very supportive family. Praise God for both experiences and all the new information I'm learning! It's going to be a long learning process, but God gives me grace each day. This past week I worked 3 twelve hour shifts in a row and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The real test will be when I switch to nights and am on my own! Overall, it's a really great experience for me because it causes me to remember my dependence on the Lord, and stretches me to learn and do new things.
Let me honor and thank my hubby for his love for me in practical ways. After coming home from my first 12 hr shift I found a note and a pan full of lasagna! Jose made lasagna before going to his home group men's meeting. I was so blessed by this and didn't have to worry about making dinner. During this past week, for a couple nights, he has gone to the new building our church will soon be in to help with tearing things down before construction begins. Thanks honey for serving me and the church!
Last Saturday we got to spend time with my dad and his wife Casey while they were in Laguna Beach for a work related trip. We enjoyed walking on the beach, going shopping, and eating good food. Thanks Dad and Casey for treating us! It was great to see them - we haven't spent any time with them since our wedding. We look forward to when they come again for San Diego's Rock n' Roll Marathon in June. I still am contemplating on whether or not to join them in the insanity. Due to having colds, going on trips and starting work I haven't been as consistent with running as I hoped.
Well, this weekend I'm relaxing and Jose is working because it's drill weekend. Yesterday Jose and I were able to spend time together and went for a lovely walk in La Jolla by the beach. My goal is to go to the beach at least once a week - we live in sunny California after all. Hopefully next posting I can put up some pictures. God bless you all.

No comments:

Search Our Blog